We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the ground beef. Break up into smaller pieces and brown the meat. Season generously with salt. Remove meat from the pan and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and onions to the same sauté pan and cook onion for 5-10 minutes over medium heat. Once onions are softened and slightly golden in color, add jalapeño, cumin, and garlic and cook for five more minutes. Then add chili powder and browned meat and cook for about 2-5 minutes (until everything has become that reddish color).
Add the tomato and check for seasoning. Simmer for about twenty minutes.
Open up the bags of Fritos. In each bag, on top of the chips, add chili, pico de gallo or salsa, and top with freshly grated cheddar cheese. Enjoy! (Preferably with a spork!)
Frito Pie Casserole Recipe
Frito pie casserole is a guilty pleasure, I won’t lie. In our house, we ‘attempt’ to eat healthy most of the time.
Scratch that. It’s me that attempts (and fails) to eat healthy, Leigh does great. I am the sinner of the pair.
This casserole dish is not going to win any weight loss awards but it will satisfy that crunchy, cheesy, fatty craving you might be having.
What’s great about this recipe is that is cheap, it is delicious, and it will feed a crowd.
So, if you’re looking for something a little more waist-friendly, search our recipes for ‘healthy’. You want to indulge yourself just a little bit … read on!
How to Make Frito Pie
- Start by browning the ground beef and onions together.
- Mix in the taco seasoning. Skip the step of adding the water, just mix in the seasoning until the meat is well coated.
- Pour in corn, tomatoes, and beans to combine everything
- Pour about 3/4 bag of Fritos into the bottom of a casserole dish, top with meat mixture
- Sprinkle on plenty of cheese! I like to use about 1 1/2 cups to evenly coat everything. You can go lighter or heavier, that is up to you.
- Bake until the cheese is melty!
Fritos might be my all time favorite chip, so it is no surprise that I am a fan of this Frito pie. I like to reserve about 1/4 of the bag of chips to top each portion when you serve it. You can also top with your favorite taco toppings. I will take pretty much any excuse to use Fritos like Chicken Enchilada Chili.
Sour cream is my favorite, but lettuce, black olives, avocado, and tomatoes make a great choice as well. We are a huge fan of anything with Mexican flavors, so it should come as no surprise that this is a hit at our house. Mexican Skillet Potatoes are on the menu at least monthly!
- 4 cups Fritos corn chips
- 2 1/2 cups chili con carne
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup jalapeño slices, optional
Put the Fritos corn chips in the bottom of a small baking pan spread the chili evenly over the top. Sprinkle with onions, cheddar, and jalapeños if desired.
Bake at 350oF for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Use a spatula to transfer servings to a plate or bowl.
Original Frito Pie: Open a 1.75-ounce bag of Fritos corn chips. Into the bag, pour 1/2 cup chili, 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar, 1 tablespoon chopped onion, and a couple of jalapeño slices. Eat it out of the bag.
Taco Style: Top each serving with 1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce and a 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes.
New Mexican Frito Pie: Substitute Chile Colorado con Puerco for the chili con carne and top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped green onions.
HOW TO MAKE FRITO PIE CHILI
- Brown the beef.
- Add chili ingredients and simmer.
- Add cornstarch and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- Serve chili over Fritos and top with Cheddar.
BROWN THE BEEF
Brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon or utensil. Once it is cooked through, remove it from the heat and spoon out any excess grease.
ADD REMAINING CHILI INGREDIENTS
Return to the heat and stir in chili spices, canned tomatoes, beef broth, and tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
THICKEN AND SIMMER
Make a cornstarch slurry by combining cornstarch and water. The cornstarch will help to thicken the chili. Add the slurry to the pan, stir, and allow to simmer 10-15 minutes more.
ASSEMBLE THE FRITO PIE
Lastly, add a generous handful of Fritos to a bowl, ladle over a spoonful of chili, and top with shredded cheese and other desired toppings!
Frito Pie Casserole Recipe
Frito Pie is traditionally served in little bags of individual Fritos with chili, cheese and other toppings added in. There is a lot of contention about where it originated, but personally, I’m tempted to believe that the original (non-Frito) version originated in Mexico (where it is known as “tostilocos” – crazy chips) and then was adapted in Texas to include Fritos by the inventor of Frito’s mother.
The Frito Corporation was an early investor in Disneyland and they introduced their Frito Pie to the rest of America by including it on the menu at Casa de Fritos. (You can see some really fun images of the original location here.) Since then, it’s become a staple at everything from tailgates to Little League games, and has even been given gourmet re-invention at restaurants.
The Frito Pie Casserole is a fun and easy way to take this childhood favorite and make it meal-sized. While I’m all for the fun of the “walking tacos” version, I tend to save that for camping and prefer this “taco bake” for when we’re at home.
This Frito Pie Casserole features a base layer of crunchy, salty Frito chips topped with a quick and hearty homemade chili spiced with cajun and taco seasonings, and finished off with a layer of melted cheese mixed with even more Fritos.
Everyone makes their Frito Pie a bit differently. I use enchilada sauce for the chili and incorporate taco-inspired veggies (corn, beans and tomatoes). Feel free to make swaps or additions however you see fit.
Frito Pie Variations:
- You can serve your Frito Pies in the “traditional” way by cooking up the chili and then serving it alongside individual mini bags of Fritos for everyone to scoop chili and sprinkle cheese into their bags.
- You can prepare this dish completely on the stovetop by just adding shredded cheese and Fritos to the top of your skillet after you are done preparing the chili. Allow the cheese to melt completely before serving.
- Incorporate 4 oz of cream cheese to the chili for a twist
- Swap out the Fritos for another favorite chip or tortilla
Can Frito Pie Casserole be frozen? Frito Pie Casserole is a great prep-ahead meal. You can just freeze the chili (up to three months) and then thaw and assemble and bake your Frito Pie Casserole as directed, or you can layer the chili and cheese in a casserole dish before covering and freezing. Allow to thaw completely before topping with Fritos and then proceeding with baking as directed.
What Side Dishes Go with Frito Pie?
- Rice or Cauliflower Rice
- Guacamole or Sliced Avocados
- Taco Toppings (sour cream, lettuce, pickled jalapenos, sliced black olives, salsa, pico de galo, etc.)
- Refried Beans
Check out our quick recipe video to see how to make your own frito chili pie and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe card:
Frito Pie Casserole Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Small Onion, diced
- Garlic Cloves, smashed and sliced
- Taco Seasoning <– grab our recipe for homemade taco seasoning here
- Cajun Seasoning <– grab our recipe for homemade cajun seasoning here
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Black Beans
- Diced Tomatoes <– can use Rotel tomatoes for more flavor
- Shredded Cheese
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: for a healthier take on this recipe, you can reduce the amount of Fritos used and double the amount of veggies called for.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Sharp Kitchen Knife
- Cutting Board <– I love these Pyrex dishes with fitted lids for easy transportation to parties or leftover storage <– I love the versatility of a good cast-iron pan – you can make everything from eggs to dessert in them and they transition easily from the stove to the oven. This one is pre-seasoned and great for even heating
- Clean Bowl
- Wooden Spoon or Spatula <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
- Cheese Grater
How to Make Frito Pie Casserole
Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat.
Scoop the ground beef into a clean bowl and add the olive oil to the pan.
Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute before adding the ground beef back into the pan.
Add the seasoning to the skillet, along with the enchilada sauce, corn, black beans and diced tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, spread half the bag of Fritos along the bottom of a 9”x13” casserole dish.
Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
Scoop the skillet mixture overtop of the cheese layer, then top with remaining Fritos and shredded cheese.
Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Pin this Fun Frito Pie Casserole for a Meal the Whole Family Will Love:
Grab your free printable recipe card for our Frito Pie Casserole recipe:
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
How To Make Frito Pie Recipe
Spread a layer of Fritos in a baking dish, covering the bottom. Pour in your chili or taco meat, cover with shredded cheese, and broil to perfection! Serve in a “frito boat” or individual bowls after topping with chopped onion, a dollop of sour cream, sliced jalapeno, and either avocado or guacamole. Yum!
For the brisket and black bean chili:
Over medium heat, warm a large, heavy pot (such as a Dutch oven). Add the bacon and cook until rendered and crispy. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic. Add white onion and cook until tender.
Add to the pot all remaining ingredients except the black beans and brisket and cook for 20-30 minutes to develop the flavors.
Finally add the diced brisket and black beans and simmer for 15 minutes to marry the flavors. Keep warm until ready to serve.
For the Frito pie:
Take the individual bags of Fritos and gently crunch the contents. Cut the side of the bag open and fill with 3/4 cup chili, 1 tablespoon sour cream, sliced jalapeños and Mexican cheese blend. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Crunchy corn chips loaded with chili and your favorite fixin's are ideal for game day. Top with colorful pickled onions, jalapeños, cilantro, and salty cotija cheese to add brightness.
olive oil or unsalted butter
boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
Zest of 2 limes plus 1/2 cup lime juice (from about 3 large limes)
28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Fritos, pickled red onions, pickled jalapeños, roughly chopped cilantro, crumbled cotija, lime wedges, grated sharp Cheddar, sliced scallions, finely chopped onion, sour cream, diced avocado
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven on medium-high. Season meat generously with salt. In batches, brown half of meat on all sides, 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl and lower heat to medium.
- Add onions, garlic, and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in orange juice, lime zest and juice, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and meat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and falls apart, 3 to 3½ hours. (if chili gets too thick, add a bit of water to thin it out and continue simmering).
- Spoon over Fritos and top as desired.
PER SERVING (CHILI ONLY): 365 calories, 15 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 44 g protein, 590 mg sodium, 15 g carb, 3 g fiber
A quick and easy dinner that the family will LOVE!
It’s been pretty hot outside, and besides grilling- I have been sticking to quick and easy meals. You know, the kind of meal that take less than 45 minutes. Anyways, I couldn’t decided on what to make the other day so I asked my husband, and he suggested that I make Chili Cheese Frito Pie.
What is chili cheese Frito Pie you ask? Chili Cheese Frito Pie is a consist of delicious crunchy Frito Lay chips smothered in with homemade chili ( well my recipe has homemade chili..some people used canned chili), then topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
Must admit, when my husband first told me to it I thought that it sounded strange. Well, maybe not strange, but it just wasn’t something that I was used too. After having it for the first time, I was hooked! It was love at first bite! The crunchiness from the Frito Lay Chips, the perfectly seasoned meaty chili, and the loads of melted cheese… It was amazing.
Truth be told – the secret to this dish is ALL in the chili! So let me break down the chili game.
The chili that I make for my chili cheese Frito Pie is really simple to make, but don’t get it twisted- IT IS OFF THE CHAIN.
I use use regular 70/30 ground beef, and I seasoned it with seasoning salt( salt free seasoning), garlic, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder. SIMPLE STUFF RIGHT?! I then add in crushed tomatoes, onions, cilantro, tomato sauce, and water, and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes.
I personally don’t care for beans in this chili, BUT you can certainly add beans to your chili if you choose.