Ingredients for the preparation of pickled mullet
- Medium sized freshly gutted fish 5 pieces
- Large onion 1 piece
- Black peppercorns 1 teaspoon
- Allspice 1 teaspoon
- Pepper pink peas 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tablespoon
- Large sea salt 1 tablespoon and 0.5 teaspoon
- Sugar 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon
- White wine vinegar 4 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
- Purified water 150 milliliters
- Laurel leaf medium size 3-4 pieces
- Main Ingredients
- Serving 5 servings
Inventory:Cutting board, Knife, Plate - 2 pieces, Tablespoon, Teaspoon, Medium pan, Cooker, Plastic or glass container with a lid, Refrigerator, Serving dish
Preparation of pickled mullet:
Step 1: prepare the mullet.
Rinse the gutted mullet under running water and put it on a cutting board. Fish must be cut into fillets, so it is best to use it with your head. Holding the mullet by the head, we make an incision along the carcass closer to the ridge towards the tail. Thus, we cut the flesh. We throw out the head itself with the spine, they will not be useful to us.
Attention: we do not clean the fish from the skin. Lay the mullet fillet with the flesh up one layer in a large long plate. After that, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt.
Step 2: prepare the onion.
Using a knife, peel the onion from the husk and then rinse thoroughly under running water. We spread the vegetable on a cutting board and cut into thin rings. The processed onions are transferred to a free plate.
Step 3: prepare the marinade.
Pour purified water into a medium pan and put on a small fire. Add to the container until the water boils, black, allspice and pink peppercorns, mustard seeds and bay leaves. Pour the remaining salt and sugar and mix well with a tablespoon, bring the marinade to a boil. Immediately after that, turn off the burner, and leave the liquid aside to cool to a warm state. When the marinade cools down, add vegetable oil and wine vinegar to it, and mix everything well with improvised stock.
Step 4: prepare the pickled mullet.
We lay in a glass or plastic container with layers of mullet fillet and onion rings and carefully fill it all with a warm marinade. We cover the container with a lid and put the fish in the refrigerator to marinate for 3-4 hours. After the allotted time, remove the container from the refrigerator and drain the marinade. To do this, we hold the slightly open lid so that peas or bay leaves do not spill out with the liquid, since they can still be useful for decorating the dish. Mullet itself, if desired, is peeled, poured with vegetable oil and can be served.
Step 5: serve the pickled mullet.
We spread the marinated mullet with a tablespoon on a serving dish and decorate with onion rings and, if desired, peppercorns and bay leaves. You can cut the fish into small pieces with a knife. They serve it with mashed potatoes or “jacket” potatoes, brown bread and fresh vegetables. Flying with a bang!
- Instead of white wine vinegar, you can use regular table apple cider vinegar.
- Such a marinade can be prepared for pickling herring, mackerel, herring and even trout.
- To prepare a delicious juicy dish, first of all, you need to choose fresh high-quality fish. Therefore, we draw attention to the gills - they should be bright red; by smell - it should be neutral; and on the skin - it should be even along the entire length of the carcass, without dents or darkening.
- If you marinate a large mullet, then the time spent in the refrigerator can be increased by a couple more hours.